Sunday, March 1, 2015

Egg & Veggie "Muffins"

I'd just like to preface this post with a quick warning: I am certainly not a food blogger. Nine times out of 10 I do my meal prep at night, so lighting is horrible my pictures of food are not pretty. But then again, I remind myself that I AM NOT a food blogger, and my goal is function over fashion here.

Just promise me we'll still be friends, okay?

Breakfast is several things to me. It is first and foremost my favorite meal of the day, so much so that sometimes we'll also have breakfast for dinner one night a week. Secondly, it is the hardest meal of the day for me to eat, for a couple reasons: rarely am I hungry enough to eat first in the morning (unless I work out as soon as I wake up and then OMG it is game on), and on weekdays I just don't have time to prepare a nice, hot, nutritious breakfast. From the time I wake up to the time I get to work, I am literally going non-stop. Thankfully I do have Shakeology to get me over that hurdle, but for my mid-morning meal I still like something that FEELS like a traditional breakfast meal.

That's where these egg & veggie "muffins" come in. I am all about convenience, all about preparing ahead, and all about eating yummy food. So these are like a win-win-win.

The best part is that they are SUPER easy to make ahead and freeze. AND you can customize them based on what kind of veggies you like--and just like that it occurred me to that I should totally add cooked & crumbled turkey bacon to these bad boys. I feel like that would be life-changing.

Anyway, I digress. Onto the recipe!



Here is what you'll need:

Veggies of choice
2 cups egg whites (or feel free to substitute whole eggs)
1 whole egg
Cheese (optional)
Hot sauce (optional)
Oil spray
Muffin tin

Whisk together your egg whites and whole egg. Season with salt and pepper.

Here are the veggies I used for this particular batch. Red and green pepper, white and red onion, mushrooms, and garlic.


I saute everything in a pan with a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil to get the flavors mixed together, seasoned with salt and pepper.


...and then I had a ton of spinach to use, so I threw a couple handfuls of that in just before I was finished and let that wilt down.


Spoon the veggies into your prepared muffin tin.


Pour the eggs over top of the veggies. Add a pinch of cheese to the top of each muffin and a drop or two of your favorite hot sauce if you like some heat (I do!). 

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until eggs are set.


These usually pop right out of the tin with no problem. I set them aside to cool, and then portion two "muffins" into a ziplock bag and put them in the freezer.

The night before I know I'll need them, I take a bag out of the freezer and put it into the fridge to thaw overnight, and then pop them in the microwave for a minute or two until heated. You *can* reheat these from frozen, but you'll get a lot of water off of them on your plate.

I usually will eat two with one slice of sprouted-grain toast or a half of a sweet potato. For my 21 Day Fixers, you've got red, green, yellow, blue, and a tsp. covered, depending on what you add to these, how many you eat, etc.

With a little planning and a little prep-work, it is TOTALLY do-able to ensure that you are having a healthy, satisfying meal each morning.

And with that, I'm curious...what's your favorite breakfast food?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you.

Let's keep it bright and positive, friends. xoxo <3