Friday, August 7, 2015

Friday Faves - Why Stitch Fix is a Busy Mom's Best Friend


psssssst....this post contains referral links, just so ya know :)

Back in April, I treated myself to Stitch Fix for the first time ever, and I am hooked. I could shout from the rooftops how much I love getting presents in the mail (even if they are from myself), and Stitch Fix tops them all. Because, hellooooo--who doesn't love getting new clothes? And since losing weight, my wardrobe is in desperate need of an overhaul.

Here's why this service is great for busy moms:

-No wasted time spent wandering around the store.

I am a horrible shopper. And 9 times out of 10, I have my mini-sidekick with me. I love her, but she is not supportive or conducive to making my horrible shopper tendencies any better. I usually dash through a store, grab a bunch of things I think I'll like, and then come home only to find out that I hate all of them. This happens more often than I'd like to admit.

With Stitch Fix, I create my account, fill out a style profile (which is SO FUN), link my Pinterest board to my profile, and schedule my shipment. When the stylist goes to style my Fix for me, I get charged a $20 "styling fee", my five pieces get shipped, and then I can apply that $20 toward anything I keep (AND get 25% off if I keep everything in my box).

Once I get my box, I have three days to decide what I like and don't like, send back what I don't like (in a prepaid envelope, woo hoo!) and pay for and keep what I like.

No running around stores, no decision-making over this blouse or that blouse. It takes 20 minutes to fill out your profile, and then when you Fix ships you have to be patient for just a few more days :) But NO stress!

-No horrible fluorescent lights in dressing rooms.

Dear Retailers:

Who decided THAT was a good idea? I'm pretty sure your goal is to get women to try on clothes in a way that makes them feel happy about themselves, not cram them into a 4 foot by 4 foot space with horrible lights that make them look like a mombie (that's mom + zombie). I have walked out of major retailer dressing rooms feeling worse than when I walked in. How does that make me want to spend my hard-earned money?

Once I get my Fix, I am able to try on everything in the comfort of my own home, with pretty lighting that doesn't make me look terrible, and can consult with existing pieces in my closet to see how well my shipped items jive with what I already have. It also helps that Stitch Fix sends you these awesome little styling cards to help you put together pretty little outfits with the pieces they send you. This is my favorite part.

You get three days to do this from the day your Fix is delivered, and I HIGHLY recommend using all three days. You might try something on on the first day and just feel ehhhhh about it, but the next day you might remember you have these fabulous skinny jeans that would go perfectly with that flowy blouse you got in your Fix. And then it's love at second sight.

-It's a great way to step outside of your comfort zone.

I have always been a black/gray/navy basics/classic type of girl. In Fix #3, my stylist noticed I had been pinning things lately with "pops of color," so that's what she sent me. And she didn't fail me on the color department! And geometric prints--never thought they'd be for me, but it turns out I LOVE them!

-Surprises are always fun.

I kind of like being at the mercy of my stylist. There are ways to "cheat" and peek at your Fix when they first let you know it ships (when you get your email notifying you your Fix is on its way, you can click "checkout survey", see the list of items you are getting and Google them), but it's nice to let someone else do the thinking for you. All you have to do is try the stuff on. Who doesn't love a good fashion show from the comfort of their own home?

In Fix #3, I totally cheated and Googled the pieces I was getting. This can backfire and you can be like "ehhhhhh". Or you can be totally pumped. For this Fix, I was somewhere in between "ehhhhhhh" and "yayyyyyy", but it certainly did not disappoint once my Fix finally arrived.

______________________________________________________________________________

In this Fix I had a new stylist, Rachel, who noted that I love "glam and preppy styles with casual chic details and pops of color." Rachel, if you ever read this, I think you are my spirit animal. Girl, you NAILED it. Please be mine forever. <3

Here is my sweet little note from Rachel and my styling cards. Even when I send stuff back, I keep these cards for inspiration in my own closet.



And here are my pieces and details, what I kept--and what I sent back.


Renee C Huebert Space Dye Open Cardigan - $68

I got this in my June Fix and LOVED it, but it wasn't meant to be in June. When I checked out, I said I'd love to see it in a future Fix, and sure enough--there it was in Fix #3! I love cardigans. I wear them year-round (hello, cold office).

Now, this is where I feel foolish. I tried it on, still liked it, but didn't LOVE it like I did back in June. Plus I have three gray cardigans in my closet already that are in regular rotation. 

Status: Returned (but maybe kind of regretting it since Fall is around the corner)


Brixon Ivy Sylvester Split Neck Blouse - $54

I loved loved loved the color of this when I took it out of the box. Loved the sleeves, loved the material, loved that it could transition nicely to the office...and then I tried it on. I did not like the neckline so much. I feel like it made me look very boxy.

Status: Returned (but I made sure to let them know I wouldn't mind more of that color in the future!)


Fun2Fun Sonoma Striped Sleeveless Top - $38

This is one where I cheated and Googled before it came and was just "ehhhhh" about it. But really, it is a great summer shirt. It was pretty sheer, so a cami under it would have been necessary, but it was pretty nice! And color! It turns out I like color after all.

Only problem? I got this one on, but it was super tight in the bust. I felt like I couldn't exhale without busting some seams on the sides of my chest. I would have kept it if it was just a little bigger.

Status: Returned


Pixley Kathy Striped Fit & Flare Dress - $68

I loved this dress the second I pulled it out of the box. Like, really loved it. I love stripes. I love black and white. I loved the back of the dress (wish I got pictures, but the neckline in the back comes to a cute little "V"). But it just felt like TOO much stripe action when I had it on. I looked around in my closet for a chunky belt or something to break it up, but I had no luck.

Peyton wanted me to keep this dress, and it gave her all the sads when I told her I was sending it back.

Status: Returned.


Pixley Rolfe Geo Print Top - $54

When I did my cheater-cheater-pumpkin-eater Googling, I couldn't find a photo of this shirt ANYWHERE. Not on Google, not on Pinterest--NO WHERE. And that made me a little nervous, especially considering the "Geo Print" part in the name of this shirt. I usually shy away from prints and prefer solids (or stripes), so I was immediately wary of this little number. But I did tell Stitch Fix to send me prints because of that whole "getting out of my comfort zone" thing, so I trusted the process, tried it on--and guess what? It was my favorite piece in the whole box! I immediately took the tag off and wore it out to dinner that night. 

It looks great with a pair of skinny jeans I got in my first box and a statement necklace I have in the same peachy-pink color you see in the detail. I can also throw a cardigan or a blazer over top of it and then it's office-ready! If this top was a person, I would ask to braid its hair and tell it all of my secrets.

Status: Kept. And worn three times already.

My total for this box? $4. I had $50 in credit because I had some awesome friends sign up for Stitch Fix with my referral link, so I only had to pay $4 for the geo print top I wound up keeping.

Right now I have my Fixes scheduled for every other month, so my next Fix is scheduled for the end of September--just in time for the temperatures to start dropping and start building up my Fall wardrobe!

______________________________________________________________________________

I wrote this post as part of my Friday Faves series, a way of introducing fellow women and mamas to things I love! Stitch Fix is no way involved, except for the fact that I really just love them. Links in this post are my referral links. If you sign up for Stitch Fix via my link, I'll get a credit. Once you get your first Fix and you LOVE it (and I bet you will love SOMETHING in your box!), you can shout it from the rooftops and share your own referral link!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you.

Let's keep it bright and positive, friends. xoxo <3