Thursday, January 3, 2019

That Time I Went Whole 30 - Day 2

Day 2 is a dumpster fire.

I FEEL like piping hot garbage.

Straight outta Facebook.


I had a headache and the bloating is uncalled for. I am offended by it. I feel like I will never have a normal bathroom habit again (and now I've probably offended you, but I am not sorry).

I sat at my desk at work all day and was basically propping my head up with my hand. I also wished I had something to keep my eyes propped open because I was exhausted. And so, so hungry.

The dinner meeting I had tonight was not something I was looking forward to. I had checked out the menu a couple days beforehand when I was feeling better and more optimistic and less like Day 2 of my Whole 30 would kill me. I did find some things I probably could have eaten, but then my stupid anxiety kicked in with the following thoughts:

"What kind of oil do you think they cook their meats in?"
"Do you think the seasonal veggies have butter in them?"
"I am going to look like an idiot in front of all these women, grilling the poor server on how the food is prepared."

And thus I decided to save an emergency snack for later in the afternoon, not order food at dinner, then pray my snack held me over and my willpower could withstand sitting at a table with 15+ women who were ordering what I was sure would be all kinds of gloriousness.

But onward we go. During lunch, I stopped at the grocery store and picked myself up a bottle of kombucha as a "you go girl" motivational treat. Also because I was praying that dumping some probiotics into my gut would relieve me of some of the gastrointestinal distress in which I was finding myself.

Sad desk lunch. Hello darkness my old friend.

Also, Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" was on the radio on my way back to the office, so I took that as a sign.

My PM snack was an apple and almond butter, and I must have blacked out because I found myself eating the remaining almond butter I had portioned myself with a spoon after I had finished the apple.

Not my proudest moment, but I guess it's much better than blacking out into a questionable carton of ice cream.

The day did, in fact, take a turn for the better--even though my headache never seemed to go away no matter how much water I chugged.

At my meeting, they decided to handle business first and do dinner second. Lucky me! Just in time to stay for the good part and dip before appetizers hit the table.

Second win for the day: my child, who retains the title of pickiest eater in the world, LIKED THE DINNER I MADE. AND ATE ALL OF IT. AND THEN PICKED SOME OFF OF MY PLATE AND ATE THAT TOO.

Crockpot pulled pork, roasted potatoes, and steamed green beans with salt, pepper, and olive oil.

So, yeah. Day 2 was awful. I just want to go to the bathroom. This headache is the worst. My pants are tight. I need all the naps. I feel, generally, like shit.

Walt feels the same way, which makes me feel better in some sad, weird way. I am very grateful he has committed to doing this with me.

He is also amazed by the amount of dirty dishes we are generating. For the most part, we are pretty conscious of our carbon footprint, and have even switched to cloth napkins for day-to-day use. I would be lying if I told you I wasn't already fantasizing about switching to paper plates, napkins and plastic cutlery for the next 28 days.

But I love that man because he will talk me off the ledge, remind me that we are doing our part to save the turtles, and aren't making mother nature cry...so there's that.

Go back
Prep
Day 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you.

Let's keep it bright and positive, friends. xoxo <3