Wednesday, January 16, 2019

That Time I Went Whole 30: Days 8-14

Today means we are halfway there! Here's a random snippet of stream of consciousness thoughts I've been recording over the last week, for your enjoyment/sympathy:

Day 8 (Wednesday)
-Cravings are almost gone, although the leftover Christmas tin of caramel popcorn in the office kitchen makes me want to exfoliate with the leftover crumbs as I cram kernels down my throat. I should note here that I do not like caramel popcorn. It's just there, though. In my face. I want to throw it out for everyone's sake, but I know it will sit there until February. This is so weird.

-We don't own a scale. I have become pretty anti-scale, focusing more on how my clothes feel and how I feel in general. But...I kind of wish we had a scale. I know it's against the rules to weigh yourself during the 30 days, lay off me. I did take actual measurements to track beginning and end progress, but I can't keep my jeans up and my shirts are definitely feeling looser. I am infinitely curious, but I'll fight the urge to run to Target and buy a scale just so I can be potentially disappointed. I am trusting the process, Whole 30-rule vigilantes, don't worry.

-I showed Walt how badly my hands are drying out and cracking due to all the hot and heavy dish washing action. "You have old lady hands," he tells me. He must have forgotten these old lady hands spent three straight hours in the kitchen tonight. Silly.

Day 9 (Thursday)
-I find myself annoyed with how much money I am spending on groceries, even with pretty serious planning, list making, and a fire burning deep within me to minimize the amount of food we waste as a household. We dropped $100 at Whole Foods on Tuesday; I spent another $175 today at Shop Rite. Apparently we are still within the average range to feed a family of four during the week on a "liberal" plan...but still. My wallet doth protest too much.

-"I'd eat that," I say, about every gross food commercial I see on TV.

-Peyton has stopped threatening to move out due to the number of times we ate some variation of chicken for dinner this week. I did make pot roast for dinner tonight. This is progress.

-Walt reports that I am getting a reputation at his job based on the food he is bringing in each day because we are #fancyAF. He said one of his coworkers pictures me as the put-together soccer mom in heels. That could not be further from the truth, but I am flattered nonetheless. Let it be known that I will never drive a minivan, however.

Day 10 (Friday)
-I have a freakish amount of energy.

-Walt almost licked a spoon full of non-compliant mayo this morning as we were making lunches for the girls. Like, mindlessly cleaning off the spoon with his mouth. Except it was full of mayonnaise. "Oh God!" he says, "I was just about to wreck my Whole 30 and vomit all at the same time."

-"Wanna join the gym on Sunday?" was an actual question uttered in the house today. Is this what hope feels like?

Day 11 (Saturday)
-I am starting to get tired of thinking about food. Meal planning. Meal prepping. Cooking. Cleaning it up. What my next meal is going to be. We have never eaten so well, but I sense potential burnout on the horizon. Perhaps I'll throw a couple of simple weeknight dinners into the mix or start relying a little more heavily on my crockpot.

-According to the Whole 30 timeline, days 10 and 11 are the "hardest days." Except it doesn't feel that way. It feels like stone-cold, blunt acceptance and it doesn't feel terrible, either. What a whirlwind of emotions this week has been already.

-Spending meal times away from the comfort of my home or my office lunch bag is frustrating. We spent the day at Grounds for Sculpture today, and while their food is delicious and skews to the healthier side...there wasn't a lot we could eat that would have been compliant. Packed jerky and RX bars to the rescue.

Day 12 (Sunday)
-This is it. If I make it past today, this will be the farthest I've made it in previous attempts at dominating Whole 30.

-We joined the gym! Today I practiced some restraint at going all in since I haven't worked out consistently in months. Very disappointed at the downsize in weight I can throw around, but looking forward to building strength and momentum back up. There is also a scale at the gym, so I can NOT buy one to keep at home now.

-The Eagles lost to the Saints, which is sad. What was not sad were the spicy Thai wings, homemade cilantro ranch, stuffed mushrooms, plantain chips + guac, and kombucha mocktails we brought to enjoy at my aunt and uncle's while everyone else ate mac and cheese and other things I would have enjoyed eating, but didn't miss thanks to planning ahead. #win

-Walt is ending his Whole 30 experiment on the 26th, thanks to an event he had already purchased tickets for which involves eating wings and drinking beer. I am slightly jealous, but feeling motivated to finish this out.

Day 13 (Monday)
-I made it! This is uncharted territory for me.

-So sore today. So very, very sore.

-Food boredom is real. Packing food for work is starting to feel like a chore I'd rather not do. But my skin! The energy! Sleep quality!

-Time seems to be slowing down. Is it because we've entered the very worst part of winter, or is it because sugar actually makes time faster?

Day 14 (Tuesday)
-I was up and at the gym by 5:15 this morning. I don't even know who I am anymore.

-We're almost halfway there and I find myself thinking about what happens on Day 31. I think what I miss the most is the OPTION to make a bad decision. Like yeah, I know bagels are bad for me and are definitely best enjoyed in moderation...but I also know a toasted bagel with an egg and bacon and maybe some melty cheese crammed between those doughy slices is straight-up delicious. I know food freedom is intended to come AFTER the Whole 30, but I'm wondering if subjecting ourselves to this for 30 days is worth it. I am, admittedly, feeling a little salty.

My thoughts exactly. 

-Walt has planned a bender after we finish that consists of getting bagels from our favorite new breakfast joint that gives me all the heart eyes, Dead End Bakehouse, followed by Duck Donuts, and then topping it off with a stop at our favorite brewery. I'm starting to wonder how we'd feel at the end of that day. Probably terrible. Would it be worth it? Possibly. (also, if you are also on this Whole 30 journey, I am not sorry about those links)

-I just realized that our first weekend sans Whole 30 rules will be Super Bowl weekend. Am I going to be that weirdo that brings buffalo cauliflower to a football event? I'm thinking yes.

-I had an epiphany that maybe today is my Day 10 and 11. Time is, in fact, all a mess.

-Apparently Tiger Blood is in the cards for next week. Or, at least, I hope so. I know I seem like I'm whining a lot, but I am actually feeling pretty good.

Is it possible to feel even better?

[cue TV commercial voice]

TUNE IN TO FIND OUT.

(I'm the worst.)



Go back:
Prep
Day 1
Day 2
Days 3-7



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you.

Let's keep it bright and positive, friends. xoxo <3