Monday, January 19, 2015

#GoalDigger Series Post #2: Finding Your Motivation--What's Your WHY?

Welcome to my second post of the #goaldigger series! Over the next few weeks I'll be sharing with you how I goalset, how to find (and keep) my motivation, how to stay on track, and how to hold yourself accountable. My life has changed BIG TIME since last March due to several of the ideas I am going to share with you. I'm so excited to help you make 2015 the best year ever.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, you've set a goal. Maybe two of three of them.

You are a rockstar.

You are one step ahead of almost everyone. People make resolutions in January. But not you. You are setting tangible goals, and that makes you WAY more likely to actually reach those goals than the resolution-makers.

You set that goal. You jump in in January. You're doing great. And then...a few weeks goes by and you start losing steam. Your goal seems too hard, or too big, or just plain unreachable. By March, you become deflated.

Big goals, small goals--it doesn't matter. It happens to the best of us if we lose sight of the reason why we're working toward these goals.




It's easy to get super excited at first. You are running headfirst with a goal that can have a profound effect on your life. You are going to lose weight, connect on a higher level with your spouse or significant other, save more money, et cetera, et cetera.

But if you can't figure out WHY you are doing these things--there is no reminder that when times get tough, there is a strong underlying reason for reaching these goals.

Let's use the example of losing weight. I'm pretty sure it's the most popular resolution people make each January.

Those people hit the gym hard for the month and head into February strong. Then one day it snows and they don't feel like driving to the gym, so they don't go. Then another day they make lunch plans with their friends, so they tell themselves they'll go to the gym later in the day--but when later comes that thought is long gone. Next thing you know, it's March and that person hasn't been to the gym in weeks!

For me, I set a goal to get healthy last year. That included changing my eating habits and to start incorporating some sort of fitness regimen into my daily activity. One of the first few things I did was write out my "Why."

Why was I doing this? Sure, there were some vanity-based reasons involved, but my big reason stemmed from an experience I had just weeks prior in Disney World with my family. My daughter was two years old, and this was supposed to be an amazing day in the happiest place on earth. Except I was SO UNCOMFORTABLE the entire time that I just felt like I couldn't keep up with her. My feet hurt. My legs chafed until they bled from walking the park. I was bloated and had horrible digestive issues. I was in such discomfort that I broke down crying at lunch that day. True story: here I am, in the middle of freaking DISNEY WORLD, and I am crying into my lunch because I am in physical pain. At 28 years old. Because I was treating my body like crap, I looked and felt like crap.

January 2014.
I know I've shared this photo already, but this is a constant reminder to me of where I started.
This is the day that set my goal in motion.

When I got home, I promised I'd change. Not just for me, but for my family. I vowed that I wouldn't allow myself to remain unable to keep up with my family--especially my daughter--because of my weight and poor health choices. I promised that I would set an example for Peyton, to teach her that our bodies are our vehicles while we are on Earth, that we only get one, and we need to treat it right.

My WHY is relatively simple: my family. Everything I do revolves around my husband and daughter. I was to be present for my family. Share in joy with my family. Keep up with my family.

They are the reason I am still here, almost a year later, puffing away in my living room every day. When I have a bad day and I'm grouchy and I don't feel like getting dressed into my workout clothes, moving all the furniture out of the way, and pushing play (I know, working out at home is SO HARD, YA'LL), I remember that day in Disney World. That is what keeps me going.

So, if you have a goal in mind, sit down with a pen and paper and write it out--WHY are you setting this goal? What is it going to do for you? How will it change your life? If your goal is to save some money this year--maybe your why has to do with building financial security for your family.

Tie your goal to a REASON, write it down, keep it handy, and refer to it often.

Your WHY is what will set the stakes for you. It will raise the bar.

Your WHY is what will keep you motivation even when you feel like quitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you.

Let's keep it bright and positive, friends. xoxo <3