Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Whip It Up Wednesday {Craft Edition} Gold Gourd Vase Filler

Switching it up a little bit this week for Whip It Up Wednesday, and bringing you the CRAFT EDITION!

If there is one thing I LOVE, it's getting a high-end look for less.

Wanna know what else I love? Spray paint and my hot glue gun.

Crafting is a one of my favorite hobbies, so I thought I'd share a little bit of that flavor here on the blog as well. In honor of authenticity, I thought it would be fun to show more sides to this mama than just healthy lifestyles and fitness tips, so I hope you enjoy it!

When I was perusing the Pottery Barn website a couple weeks ago, checking out the new holiday stuff, I came across this:

The Inpiration: Pottery Barn's Gold Pumpkins & Gourds Vase Filler (source)
I read the description.

They're made of styrofoam.
They're painted.
There are three of them.
They cost $24.50.

Almost $25 for painted styrofoam? I love you, Pottery Barn, but get real.

I knew I could do better, so when I dug our Fall decorations out of the shed, I knew exactly what I was looking for.

I had my own stash of styrofoam pumpkins and gourds that I snagged from the dollar store a couple years ago. And I had a can of gold spray paint sitting in the garage that had been taunting me to use it for weeks.



Mine are obviously smaller than the PB gourds, but I sure do have a lot more of them--and if they're sitting nicely in a vase, the more the merrier, right?

So I went outside, gave them a couple light coats of gold spray paint and let them dry.



And then I threw them into a square vase I had sitting around.



Considering this project's materials consisted of stuff I had sitting around the house already, it didn't cost me a dime. BUT, if you were interested in creating something similar, you could probably find styrofoam pumpkins and gourds at your local dollar store, and a can of spray paint should cost you less than $5 at Home Depot.

For less than $10, you can add a little bit of glam to your Fall decor!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you.

Let's keep it bright and positive, friends. xoxo <3