Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Whip It Up Wednesday {Chicken Sausage & Roasted Veggies}

This is a story about cabbage. And missed free water ice opportunities.

I got this pretty little red cabbage from my Door to Door Organics delivery last week, and I was kind of perplexed by it. It was St. Patrick's Day week, so corned beef and cabbage was an option, but I had already had that during the weekend (tradition!) and I was looking for lunch options for the week.

So pretty.
I forgot that I had a package of chicken sausage in the freezer that I hadn't cooked up yet, and I also got a couple of zucchini and a red pepper in my delivery, so I decided to roast everything up.

This was Sunday. On Sunday morning, my sister asked me if I wanted to go get some free Rita's Water Ice because it was the first day of spring (!!!) and free (!!!!!!!!!) is always fun. I wholeheartedly accepted her invitation and started meal prepping for the week.

Meal prep took approximately 3574675196 hours that day. I have no idea why, but I was in the kitchen ALL DAY. I missed out on free water ice.

But, you know what? That's okay, because I walked away with this pretty little dish for lunches this week!



Roasted cabbage is totally my most favorite thing in the world now. I was eating the little bits of charred cabbage leaves like they were going out of style. And the rest of the veggies were such a nice complement to the savory chicken sausage.

And a plus: roasted vegetables are one of those awesome weeknight staples because you simply chop your veggies, toss them in a little of a olive oil with salt and pepper, and pop them in the oven. That works for me!

Ingredients:
1 lb. chicken sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small red cabbage, cut into wedges
1 red pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 red onion, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 zucchini, cut into bite-sized pieces
salt and pepper
minced garlic
olive oil

Steps:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.

While the oven preheats, chop up your veggies. Toss the veggies lightly with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and minced garlic (I didn't specify an amount because you can add as much as you'd like!). Spread the veggies evenly on the baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes, stirring the veggies around on the pan halfway through the cooking time.

Brown the chicken sausage in a skillet (or grill it, yum!) until cooked through (or heated through if you are using pre-cooked sausage).

Combine the sausage with the veggies & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you.

Let's keep it bright and positive, friends. xoxo <3