Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Whip It Up Wednesday {Baked Apple Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal for Cozy Fall Mornings}

Lately I have been on a crazy baked oatmeal kick. It's easy to make-ahead on my meal prep days and is great to have on hand for busy mornings.

I've been sticking with a plain pumpkin spice version for the last few weeks, but this past weekend I had a bunch of apples I needed to use ASAP. I also had a bit of pumpkin puree left that I need to use--and I HATE throwing away food. I added the apples into my go-to pumpkin spice oatmeal base mixture, and I wound up with an oatmeal packed full of fall flavor.

Reheated with a splash of almond milk and a drizzle of maple syrup, this is a breakfast that is stick-to-your-ribs good--and you can feel good about the ingredients as this oatmeal bake is sweetened with maple syrup instead of white or brown sugar or other faux-sweeteners.




Ingredients:
3 cups oats
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling!)
3/4 cup almond milk, room temp
2 eggs, room temp
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
3 apples, chopped into small pieces

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a square baking dish (mine is 9x9).

Mix first 5 ingredients (dry ingredients) in a bowl and set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, almond milk, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. (Note: the milk and eggs need to be at room temperature to keep the coconut oil from solidifying again)
Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix well.
Fold in the chopped apples. Combine well.
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and press down into the dish.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until set.

After cooling, I slice into bars and store in the fridge to grab and add into my lunch bag each day. You can reheat in the microwave, add a splash of almond milk and a drizzle of maple syrup, or eat them plain.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you.

Let's keep it bright and positive, friends. xoxo <3